Hangar 13 confirms new Mafia game, says it’s ‘a few years away’

September 6, 2022

Hangar 13. has said that a new Mafia game is being developed however, it says that it’s “a couple of years from now”.

In an interview to mark twenty years in the series, the firm has confirmed that they are making plans for a brand new installment in the open-world crime series.

“I’m happy to confirm we’ve started work on an all-new Mafia project!” declared Hangar 13 General Manager Roman Hladik.

“While it’s a few years away and we can’t share anything more right now, we’re really excited to keep working on this beloved franchise and to entertain our players with new stories.”

The game could be a prequel according to a Kotaku article earlier this year.

The final entry in the Mafia series, Mafia 3, was released to mixed reviews in 2016. A Mafia Mafia: The Definitive Edition release saw the first 2002 game recreated for modern consoles.

This announcement follows a rough time for Hangar 13 which saw studio director Haden Blackman quit the studio, as well as the parent company 2K.

Blackman was reported to have resigned “to pursue his passion at a new endeavor,” according to an announcement first sent to employees within the Studio (via GamesIndustry.biz).

It was revealed in November on November 2K had pulled the title of Hangar 13. The game was codenamed Volt the game was said to have been being developed in different versions since the year 2017.

People who are aware of 2K’s decision told Bloomberg that work on the project that was not announced is over.

 

Recommended for You

Comments